Well, I hope you are okay with us being pretty casual with this site and our time frame as far as reading the book goes. I actually did finish it around 2 weeks ago, but I haven't had the chance to really sit down and construct any thoughts worthy of my academic prowess (ha ha). However, I don't feel good about things just going silent, so I decided to throw academia aside and just give you my thoughts, my gut reaction if you will, about the book itself and the conclusion.
I didn't really like the ending. Well, I liked the message, the idea that we are all capable and worthy of accomplishing great things, but the last part of the book all just felt a little too contrived. On the other hand, it WAS contrived--I mean, the mystery stranger arranged the entire thing and it doesn't get much more contrived than that. Still, I wondered how he really knew all this stuff and I still have trouble getting past the beating and the "You better fulfill your mission or we will kill you." Also, the part where he ran into the bank robber (just so I'm clear, the robbery was also contrived, correct?) just felt like a bit too much. And then, on top of everything else, Audrey finally decides she wants to be with him. Why then?
I admit that I really really loved The Book Thief and I couldn't help but compare this book in some way to that other (more beloved) one. Unfair, yes, but it couldn't be helped. I just didn't really like this book as much.
Though, I did really love his relationship with the Doorman. Those scenes and silent conversations were wonderful.
Monday, September 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment