Friday, August 29, 2008

Random thoughts

Oh, wow, let's pretend that I haven't been the huge book club partner slacker that I actually have been this month. Oh, goodness. I'm still not finished with the book, but I'd say I'm 2/3 of the way through, so I thought I'd better share some of my thoughts.

I am really wondering who the big mystery man is behind Ed's missions. I'm sometimes a bit confused because for most of the missions I feel like I'm watching an episode of Touched by an Angel but for others (like the rapist husband) I feel like Ed is being groomed into a hitman. I understand that in every mission there is a person or persons being helped, but then I'm thrown again when two masked men come and beat up Ed. What is that about? Suddenly, he has to perform all of these missions or he's dead? I think that puts a bit of a dark edge on his saintly deeds. Of course, I'm also wondering how these mystery people or mystery man know about all these people in need (not to mention the rocks where Ed and his brother fished). Anyway, I'm excited to find out who they are--then again, maybe we never find out . . .

It's a real bummer about Audrey, and stinks even more when he does finally get the nerve to make a pass at her and she pretty much turns him down flat. Ouch. I agree with you about the similarities between his love for her and the love of the characters in The Book Thief. So my guess is that they don't end up together. I also agree about the similarity between the mother figures. Interesting.

I wonder what Marv is saving all that money for . . . Oh, and I love that all these scrappy young people are such wonderful friends to each other. Their banter is great.

Have you noticed all the references to women's legs? It seems that whenever Ed notices an attractive woman, he describes her beautiful legs/thighs/etc. I'm not sure this is actually important, but I noticed it all the same.

Okay, I'll report back when I'm finished.

2 comments:

Elder Richey said...

Oh, I also left a comment on your "YA versus Adult Lit" post.

Timid Tripper said...

I'm not sure I had noticed the bit about the legs, except that now that you mention it, it sounds familiar.

I too was thrown off guard by the guys who came to beat Ed up. It really does change the dynamics of the story. And for awhile after that part I sort of lost momentum in reading the book.