First of all, can I just say that I don't feel very academic myself these days, but it's so nice to have a forum in which I can mention things that might have a feminist tinge without worrying that I'll get berated or misunderstood. And after my ward book club told me that they didn't want to read Persuasion because it was too boring it's nice to have a friend who will read the "boring" books with me.
I agree with you that the ending was contrived, which left me torn. But first I have to clarify with you my understanding of the ending. It's been awhile since I read the book, but my understanding was that the mystery guy who set everything up for Ed was, in a sense, the author. I saw the ending as very meta with Ed talking to someone who arranged everything, including the burlary at the beginning in order to tell Ed's story. But maybe I made a leap there that isn't really there, so I'd like to hear more of your thoughts on that and maybe I need to re-read the ending. It's been about a month.
On the one hand, I like the contrived ending because I think it would really challenge young adult readers in a way that might get them thinking. It also seems to point to the Marxist notion that we are trapped inside the stories we tell about ourselves and then it challenges that notion by telling a story in which Ed breaks out of his assigned role. Of course it also sort of turns back on itself since Ed's story of self discovery is the basic coming of age story, but at least it was positive.
And I also agree with you that the ending seemed like an easy out. The book's not worth reading for the ending, but I did enjoy the journey there. This certainly wasn't The Book Thief, but it was also written before The Book Thief, so maybe Zuzak's next book will be just as good as The Book Thief.
So, do you want to try and read another book? I know you've got lots to keep you busy, so I don't mind if we take another break. Nor do I mind the casual nature of this book group. Like I said, it's nice to read with someone who appreciates the same books I like.
Thursday, September 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment