p. 84
So have you had a chance to find a copy of Cold Comfort Farm? Because I'm usually the one lagging in the reading, I rushed out and got a copy as soon as you mentioned it. At first, it felt so refreshing to read something with such rich language after all the time I've spent immersing myself in the world of young adult fiction. But then after the first few pages, I have to admit it was pretty slow going at first, which was disappointing. I loved the movie, although now I sort of wonder why. But don't tell my husband. It would be like admitting that I've been wrong all these years.
Once I made it to page seventy the story started to pick up for me. As I read it, I feel like I felt the first time I read Pride and Prejudice, as if I'm missing most of the jokes. And I'm not sure what to think of Flora. I like her independent spirit, but at times she also seems a bit overbearing. How would that be to show up at such a strange house with the plan to live there? I know I would be afraid to make myself at home (I’d be afraid period) and constantly feel like I'm a guest. Despite her strong desire to tidy things, Flora doesn't even seem to be afraid of the dirt shrouding everything at Cold Comfort.
I'm particularly interested in Flora's desire to tidy things up at Cold Comfort. Based on some details I know about the story from watching the movie and the fact that this book was first printed in 1932, I suspect that Gibbons was probably influenced by Freud. Or do I have my dates wrong? At any rate, Flora’s desire to organize and regulate reminds me of simplified definitions of the ego. And everyone at Cold Comfort seems to relish following their passions, except for Amos. Perhaps he's the other side of the ego coin, but I’m not sure. Anyway, just some thoughts that come to mind. I'm curious to know what you think.
Monday, June 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I ordered my book off of Bookmooch
(I love that program--free books!) and I haven't gotten it yet. I'm hoping it will be here in the next few days--I'll let you know as soon as it arrives.
I haven't seen the movie. Should I watch it now or wait until after the book?
I'm so happy we're doing this again :)
Hmmm. I'd say wait to see the movie until after you've read the book just so you can form your own views of the characters. But I suppose it's one of those books where it really doesn't matter because it's not like there's a big surprise or anything.
I've also been thinking about this book in terms of Jane Austen and wondering if Flora is influenced by, or a reaction to Jane Austen. When you get your book, let me know what you think.
Isn't this fun? :)
Okay, so I got tired of waiting for my book to come and so I went and got a copy from the library. I will start reading ASAP!
Post a Comment