p. 220 "the anatomy lesson"
I'm sorry that I've been so silent for so long. To be honest, I had a hard time getting into this book and I got distracted by some other books. However, now I'm reading it at a really good pace and I'm definitely "into" it. That said, here are some of my thoughts along the way.
First, do you remember when we very first started reading the book and I was confused about whether Howard is black or white? Well, I think we both kind've agreed that he is black, but now I definitely think that he is white. Do you agree? Smith seems to be pretty vague on his race, but there are a few clues along the way:
describing Howard, "The thin, papery, Caucasian nostril holes"(203).
Carl to Zora, "Your pops, the professor . . .' he said slowly, 'He white, right?'
'Howard. He's English'"(138). I thought this response to a racial question was really interesting.
The description of Levi at the Mozart concert: "The young man (Carl) turned and saw a boy a little shorter than him, but not much, and several shades lighter"(73). This sounds like Levi is the child of a white father and a black mother.
But most of all the comment that Zora makes during that amazing fight with Howard, "Everywhere we go, I'm alone in this . . . this sea of white. I don't see any black folk unless they be cleaning under my feet in the cafe in your college. Or pushing a hospital bed through a corridor"(206).
What do you think?
Second, I am really interested in Levi and the way he adopts a form of "blackness." He uses the language of the streets even though he is from the suburbs and he even tries to dress the part. I was really interested in the confrontation between Bailey and Levi where Baily calls Levi's bluff.
Third, Smith is constantly referring to Kiki's weight. I don't really have anything to say about this, but I just keep thinking that it must be important because nearly every reference to Kiki involves her weight.
Anyway, there's a short list of some of my thoughts as I've been reading.
Tuesday, December 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I just went back and read that earlier post about Howard's race and you said that you were pretty sure he was white, so sorry about all the talk about his race as a mystery to me :)
I do think that adds a whole layer to his children and how they are constructing their identities. Black or white? And of course, it really isn't so easy as that, there are various black identities and white identities as we can see being manifested in each child.
Also, the affair with a white woman. How that must have hurt Kiki! That fight was so well written. I almost felt like I was listening in on a couple's fight. It made me uncomfortable. I really don't like Howard and all of his excuses and selfishness. Do you get the feeling that all the acadademics feel like they are better than everyone else including their families?
What I think is interesting, is how both Howard and Monte can seem like such jerks. I'm starting to really appreciate Howard's awfulness in the sense that he's almost so grotesque that I'm oddly fascinated by him. I was blown away by the way he treated Carl when he showed up to the party. And after all that he's done he really thinks that he still loves his wife and wants to make it work with her. I'm not sure he does love her, but I'm not sure he doesn't either. Maybe he's just delusional.
I've finished the book,but I'm at my mom's house so I will post about it later. However,I did want to comment on your comment. A majority of the men in this book drive me crazy. I'm thinking specifically of Monte, Howard,and Carl. They all get involved with women who are so much less than their wives, women who may be more beautiful (though I guess that's subjective--more beautiful according to the world)and yet they stand on these soapboxes that supposedly put them above the world. Hypocrites. Okay, obviously Carl isn't married but isn't he supposed to be smarter than hooking up with Victoria just because she's beautiful? These men are so easily seduced that it makes them seem weak no matter what their other accomplishments may be.
I don't feel like I adequately responded to some of the questions you raised, so here's another comment. It seems like Smith is really interested in issues that divide, like race. I love how she also brings up the more subtle things like weight. By sleeping with a skinny woman, Howard reminded Kiki that her weight detracts from her beauty and in the eyes of many, makes her less of a person. And then with Levi, there's the finer distinction of class and economic status. He might be black and he might know the walk and the talk, but he'll never be "street" because he didn't grow up there.
Post a Comment